Avoid the Burn!
Cookouts, picnics, beach days, barbecues… Summer is here! Sun lets our bodies absorb vitamin D, necessary for strong and healthy bones, but too much unprotected sun exposure can be very harmful and may lead to skin and eye damage, immune system suppression, heat exhaustion/heat stroke as well as skin cancer. Know about sun safety and teach your children about how to enjoy the sun safely.
Remember these tips when enjoying time in the sun:
- Wear protective clothing, such as wide-brimmed hats, bandanas, long sleeves as well as sunglasses.
- Stay in the shade as much as possible.
- To avoid heat stroke and/or heat exhaustion, drink plenty of water. Hydration is key!
- Try to avoid the sun during peak hours, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- If swimming or exposed to water, make sure the sunscreen is water-proof.
- Reapply sunscreen every one to two hours.
- Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide sunscreens are most effective!