Special Enrollment Period for HealthCare.gov Begins March 15
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced an individual Health Insurance Marketplace special enrollment period beginning March 15 through April 30. This enrollment period is for individuals and families who did not have health coverage in 2014 and are subject to the fee or “shared responsibility payment” when they file their 2014 taxes in states which use the Federally-facilitated Marketplaces (FFM). State-based Exchanges have the flexibility to determine whether they will establish a similar special enrollment period.
To be eligible for the FFM special enrollment period, consumers must not already be enrolled in coverage through the FFM for 2015.
Individuals must self-attest to the following:
· They have paid the penalty for not having health coverage in 2014
· They are not currently enrolled in a plan on HealthCare.gov
· They first became aware of the shared responsibility payment after Feb. 15, 2015, when open enrollment ended, in connection with preparing their 2014 taxes
Individuals who qualify for an exemption would not have to pay a penalty.
Coverage Effective Dates for the Special Enrollment Period
Coverage effective dates will be prospective, with:
· Enrollments made by the 15th of the month effective for the 1st of the following month, and
· Enrollments made after the 15th of the month effective for the 1st of the second month
How Consumers Apply for the Special Enrollment Period
Eligible consumers can apply for coverage directly through the Marketplace via phone or HealthCare.gov.
For more information please see the attached notification or review the CMS press release.